Total e-commerce sales for 2022 continued to power upward, according to the latest statistics from the U.S. Department of Commerce.
Total e-commerce sales for 2022 were estimated at $1,034.1 billion, an increase of 7.7 percent (±0.4%) from 2021. Total retail sales in 2022 increased 8.1 percent (±0.9%) from 2021. E-commerce sales in 2022 accounted for 14.6 percent of total sales. E-commerce sales in 2021 accounted for 13.2 percent of total sales.
Fourth Quarter 2022
The estimate for U.S. retail e-commerce sales for the fourth quarter of 2022, adjusted for seasonal variation, but not for price changes, was $262 billion, a decrease of 0.1 percent (±0.7%) from the third quarter of 2022.
The fourth quarter 2022 e-commerce estimate increased 6.5 percent (±1.1%) from the fourth quarter of 2021 while total retail sales increased 5.7 percent (±0.2%) in the same period.
E-commerce sales in the fourth quarter of 2022 accounted for 14.7 percent of total retail sales.
As you can see from this graph, the percent of ecommerce sales vs. total retail sales has continued its climb higher, despite fears of a slowing economy.
Take a look at fourth quarter 2021 and third quarter 2022 numbers for comparison.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau News, Press Release, Feb 17 2023